Weaving God's Word Into The Lives of Others

Weaving God's Word Into The Lives of Others
ONE THREAD AT A TIME

Sunday, July 8, 2012

When You Won't Open the Door

A few weeks back I went to visit someone close to me.  My  husband was doing a little work on their home, so I figured that I would go over and visit.   I didn't call but assumed it would be OK.  Boy, was I wrong!  I rang the door bell no answer. So, I waited a few minutes thinking they didn't hear the bell and tried again.  Still, no answer.   Next,  I knocked loudly, still no one came to the door.  So, I opened the door and called out their name thinking maybe they are in the bathroom and didn't hear me.  As I entered the house I noticed a light on in the bedroom and saw someone walking around in there.  I could also hear a t.v.  Then I figured that they just didn't hear me over the noise of the t.v.   I called out their name but still no answer. 
Still giving them the benefit of the doubt and thinking they would come out to greet me I sat down on the couch and waited for them to come out.  Still nothing.  Finally, after sitting there for awhile, I got up to leave. 

Before leaving, I knocked on the bedroom door and said their name again.   They yelled back something rude and never did come to the door to speak with me face to face.  I chalked it up to a bad mood, or maybe they had an argument with their husband before I showed up.  I finally left.  I felt so unwelcome, so hurt.  But, learned a valuable lesson in my walk with God.  It was a vivid reminder of how God stands at the door of our hearts and knocks waiting for us to get up and open the door.   We are the only one who has access to the door handle.  There is one knob and it is on our side of the door. We are the only ones with the power to turn the door knob and invite Him in.  This incident was a great reminder of how it must make the Creator of the universe feel when we choose to act as if He isn't there.  To treat him with such a "dismissed" attitude!  To treat Him as an unwelcome guest.  Ignoring His presence.  So caught up in our selfish little moments that we leave the God of heaven standing at an unopened door. 

I couldn't believe they would behave in such a rude way.  Then God reminded me of the times in my life when I have treated Him that same way.  For years He had been knocking at the door of my heart but I was too busy doing my own thing.  Sulking, arguing, having "me" time and I just didn't feel like answering the door.  I was so into "ME" that I didnt' care about whose feelings I hurt or how rudely I behaved.  I can still get like that if I live in my flesh and choose not to walk in the spirit.   There were days in my life, I didn't care or even really notice that God the Creator of the universe was wanting to come in and fellowship with me a sinner.  I was such a little spoiled brat all I cared about was me and my own little world.  Yet, the LORD of heaven and earth, my Maker wanted to come in and fellowship with me; one so undeserving, so rude, unloving, unkind, selfish and self absorbed. 

It reminded me also of how patient the LORD is.  I don't understand His patience.  He is the One who gives us our very breath.  He is the very reason we live and yet we treat Him so flippantly.   If I were God, I would just bring down fire from heaven on most of us.  But not so with God.  His ways are not my ways.  His thoughts are not my thoughts.  Thank God!  He is long suffering, slow to become angry, full of mercy and grace, even though we don't deserve it.  Thank you LORD for never giving up on me.  Thank you LORD for knocking until I opened the door to my heart and YOU came in and now dwell there forever.  Help me to have the same grace, mercy, forgiveness and patience with others that you  have had with me. 

Revelations 3:20 - 'Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me.

5 comments:

  1. Wow Renee -- God really showed you something about Himself through that hurtful experience! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really good spiritual blog and a good post on rejection.
    I write and maintain a blog which I have entitled “Accordingtothebook” and I’d like to invite you to follow it. I’m your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch - how often even now I "decide" not to answer God's knock or call or commandments. Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the comments. I appreciate that these blog posts are read.

    ReplyDelete