Matthew 26:6 - Now when Jesus was in Bethany, at the home of Simon the leper, a woman came to Him with an alabaster vial of very costly perfume, and she poured it on His head as He reclined at the table. (read the rest of the passage).
A woman worshipped Jesus in a way that seemed extravagant to those who witnessed it. She poured out very costly perfume on His head as an act of worship. Others became indignant with her, asking "why she had "wasted" what could have been used to help the poor." Jesus, knowing their hearts rebuked them and told them to leave her alone; not only that, He honored her for her extravagant worship.
What about us? Do we worship God extravagantly? His love for us is certainly extravagant isn't it? He held nothing back. He gave His all. He gave His best. He is still giving today. His mercy, grace & forgivness are extremely extravagant.
I am definitely not known as an extravagant person. I'm pretty simple really, frugal even. My needs aren't extravagant or expensive. I've never spent alot of money on clothes, cars, or material things. I like nice things but due to one income and a big household, being "extravagant" has never been part of my vocabulary.
After watching a dear friend of mine walk through some hard things because of her extravagant love for the Father; I've realized that God loves an extravagant worshipper!
I want to be known by God as an extravagant worhshipper. To pour out my life and love for the Savior in a way that would make others curious about this God I worship. To exceed the limits of reason or necessity. To not care about what those watching think, but to bring honor and glory to the ONE who died for me.
I want to be known by God as an extravagant worhshipper. To pour out my life and love for the Savior in a way that would make others curious about this God I worship. To exceed the limits of reason or necessity. To not care about what those watching think, but to bring honor and glory to the ONE who died for me.
What about you do you think of yourself as an extravagant worshipper?
Extravagantly Loved,
Renee
Renee
Hey Renee, I love your column, I love the story of the alabaster oil, and the woman who loved Jesus soooo much.... it's always been my desire to be like her... and sometimes we think we know what she looks like. for me that woman is hidden, just for God, and she sits with HIM and she worships HIM and just talks to HIM,,, that is, to me, one way He calls us to be....thanks....
ReplyDeleteGrateful for His EXTRAVAGANT LOVE that He has for us.
ReplyDeleteThanks for reminding us Renee!
You are so welcome. Yes I get the hidden part. But, this woman risked alot to worship Jesus in this way. She risked ridicule because of many factors but she did it anyway. He is worthy of our worship be it private or public!
ReplyDeleteAmen! I want to be a sweet incense to our Lord. Through the good times and bad. He is worthy!
ReplyDeleteThank you for visiting me. I am your newest follower and I hope you'll follow and keep up with me too.
Bless you!
Beth
http://mydestinysharinghope.com/