Do you remember the show Fear Factor? I never watched it much because "fear" is not something I enjoy. I figure real life has enough of it's own "real" fears, why on earth would I want to add anymore to my life! The one time I did try to watch it, the episode had something to do with spiders! Needless to say, I quickly turned the channel. I don't like spiders or snakes!
Today is Halloween the day most people are looking for a little "fear factor". Whether it's visiting a haunted house or dressing up all ghoulish and ghostly, this is the night that most get a thrill out of fear! This morning while reading in my One Year Bible (a great quiet time bible) I read two passages concerning the "fear factor". The first was in Hebrews 2:14-15 which reads: Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might destroy him who holds the power of death--that is, the devil-- and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death.
The second was in Psalm 103:11-18 a little longer section so, bear with me please: For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us. As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him; for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust. As for man, his days are like grass, he flourishes like a flower of the field; the wind blows over it and it is gone, and its place remembers it no more. But from everlasting to everlasting the LORD'S love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children's children--with those who keep his covenant and remember to obey his precepts. Notice in Hebrews fear is used to describe a form of slavery in this case death. In Psalms fear is used in a holy and healthy way. Promises are in store for those who fear God and obey His precepts. One little word with so much power! Fear depending on how it is used in our lives can put us in slavery or can set us free to enjoy all the power and promises of God Almighty. Jesus died so He could set us free from the fear of death, hell and the devil and live a holy and healthy life in the fear of the LORD.
Not all fear is evil! Proverbs 1:7 - The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge but fools despise wisdom and discipline. The right kind of fear can be very healthy!
Not all fear is evil! Proverbs 1:7 - The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge but fools despise wisdom and discipline. The right kind of fear can be very healthy!
So, which "fear" will be the determining "factor" of how you and I live out our days?
Lord Jesus, I pray today that those who don't know You as their personal Lord and Savior would enter into a relationship with you today by grace through faith. I also pray for those of us who know you that we would be determined to walk in the fear of the LORD not in the fear of man.
Oh - very relevant and challenging for this day - thank you!!
ReplyDelete