Do you believe in divine appointments? I believe divinely directed appointments or maybe a better word would be "interruptions" are placed on our path each and every day; if only we would have the eyes to see, ears to hear and a heart that would respond to the Holy Spirit's nudges!
Over the past several weeks God has put people in my path at unexpected places. Not in a homeless shelter setting or during a scheduled "ministry" event, but just as I am going about my day. Yesterday was such a day. I took my 16 year old to get her hair highlighted and cut. We were there for a long time, normally I would have been very frustrated and anxious but while there I met an odd little woman who told me her life story. She was so proud of so many things: her big house, how beautiful she once was, how talented she had been as a ballerina, how smart, successful and beautiful all her family was. She talked about herself for at least 45 minutes. I just sat and listened and made a few comments here and there, when she would come up for air!.
Since my daughter was still in the salon chair, I ended up giving the lady a ride home because she hinted that she didn't know how she would get home! During the ride to her house I sensed how lonely, hurt and empty she really was. My heart broke for her. When we arrived at her driveway she asked me if I wanted to exchange numbers; now to be completely honest, my flesh wanted to find a way NOT to give her my number but the Holy Spirit nudged me so we exchanged numbers and went on my way.
Since my daughter was still in the salon chair, I ended up giving the lady a ride home because she hinted that she didn't know how she would get home! During the ride to her house I sensed how lonely, hurt and empty she really was. My heart broke for her. When we arrived at her driveway she asked me if I wanted to exchange numbers; now to be completely honest, my flesh wanted to find a way NOT to give her my number but the Holy Spirit nudged me so we exchanged numbers and went on my way.
I couldn't get her off my mind all night and prayed for her that God would go to her and reveal His amazing love for her in the quietness of her home and life. Then this morning God reminded me of the way Jesus ministered to those around him; with these words, "as he went", or "as he was going". God revealed to me this was no chance encounter. It was indeed a divine interruption. This lady needs Jesus! I am to be the channel of His love and grace to her. I am to "minister as I go".
We are such busy people. We don't have time to sit and listen to some one's life story. If we do listen, it is usually not with attentive hearts and ears. I know I don't, as a mom of four with my plate running over with things to do, plan and places to be; my schedule is usually so full of me, mine and scheduled ministry appointments that I just don't see those divine interruptions that God places in my path each day. Because of the distractions and yes sometimes the "to do list" I miss out on being His eyes, arms, hands and feet in this world. I miss out on being a blessing and receiving His blessing.
There are so many broken hearted people all around us. So many lonely, isolated people who just want a friend. Someone to listen to their story. Someone to care. Jesus, our Savior, our Shepherd looked at the multitudes and had compassion on them because they were, "sheep without a shepherd". He took the time to minister "as he went along his way" to see their need, to hear the cries of the brokenhearted, sick and blind. Jesus "as he walked along the way", didn't walk aimlessly through life, even though he was headed to the Cross of Calvary to die for our sins; he took the time to see people, to look into their eyes, to hear their stories, to "minister as He went".
Help us Lord to see people with your eyes and hear them with your heart. Help us to see that those seemingly insignificant interruptions that so irritate and frustrate our busy schedules are actually divine appointments. Help us to "minister as we are going". I love you Lord Jesus. Thank you for not seeing me as an irritating interruption to your kingdom agenda but as a lost sheep who needed a Shepherd! Thank you for reaching out to me through others, for healing my broken heart and for setting me free. Help me to point others to You!
Renee
Undoubtedly a divine appointment, and you made yourself available! Inspiring and eye-opening. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteYou are right; we don't listen enough. We don't give people our full attention. And, it is because we are so busy. It is something I know I need to work on as well.
ReplyDelete