Weaving God's Word Into The Lives of Others

Weaving God's Word Into The Lives of Others
ONE THREAD AT A TIME

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

"It's only an hour"

One Sunday morning I heard someone say when they were trying to decide if they would go to church or stay home and do some yard work, "Well, it's only an hour". Those words penetrated my heart and hurt down to my core! The first thing I said to them was, "Jesus hung on a cross for us for 6 hours, the least we can do is honor Him by going to worship." I ended up in my prayer closet, crying crocodile tears over the condition of hearts. When I came out my anger, hurt and tears were gone. Worship was great for me. I enjoyed every song, every word the pastor preached from Colossians 2:1-5! I realized in my prayer closet, that God can handle the other person's heart condition, I can't make anyone love God. No amount of preaching or prodding on my part will make a difference in the lives of others. What I can do is worship my Lord, give myself away to Him daily. Live out His purpose in my life, day in and day out. He is plenty BIG enough to handle the others.

I have asked God for years to break my heart with what breaks His. This morning was a sweet and painful reminder that He has heard my prayer and He is indeed breaking my heart with what breaks His. It literally broke my heart to think about how callous and flippant that comment was..."It's only an hour". To think of all my Savior went through for us. To think of how that must make God feel after He gave His most precious Son to redeem a sinful world. How that must be a slap in His holy face? The Holy Spirit gently reminded me not to judge for I too have had those thoughts here and there over the years when I was tired on Sunday or had lots on my to do list. 
What if God had the same attitude towards? What if He didn't give us the time of day unless He needed something? What if God only talked to us when He had no one else to call on? What if God had the attitude of,  "It's only six hours", then it's done and I'm through? What if God said, ok I've done my part, I gave you the six hours I sent my son to die isn't that enough already, you are on your own now. I've got more important things to do today?

What if God had such a flippant attitude towards you and I? Wow, what trouble we would be in, what turmoil, anguish, darkness we would be in. But God, is long suffering, merciful and full of compassion. I am so thankful that God is not like us.

No comments:

Post a Comment