Deuteronomy 1:6-8 - The Lord our God said to us at Horeb, "You have stayed long enough at this mountain. Break camp and advance into the hill country of the Amorites; go to all the neighboring peoples ....."
God's word of confirmation regarding our decision to enroll our girls in public school next year. God truly speaks personally into our lives if we will get still, be quiet and are in His word on a consistent basis. He speaks to us through His word and through the nudges of the Holy Spirit.
For the past three years, I've felt gentle nudges and knew a change of direction was in store for our family but wanted to make sure I wasn't loosing my mind! After much asking, seeking and knocking He has made it clear for all of us.
When I read the verse above, the first question I asked myself was, "what represents our mountain" and immediately God whispered into my heart, "homeschooling". Just like Mt. Sinai or Horeb was the place where God taught the people to fear him, to obey him; where he gave them His Word (law) and warned them about the place they would be living in on a daily basis and how to be "set-apart" in a pagan society. So homeschooling has been that mountain for our family. It has been a place of not only academic instruction but also one of spiritual instruction. The time and togetherness homeschooling has afforded us has been a training ground of sorts. A place where discipleship was intentional. A place where we have worshipped, worked and witnessed together. They have been grounded in God's word and have been equipped to have a personal relationship with God through salvation in Jesus Christ, if they so choose. Homeschooling has been a place of preparation to enter the "world" where they can be tested and tried with the careful guidance of their parents.
I've had some other homeschoolers make comments like, "God never calls his children to sit under the tutelage of the world", I get what they are saying but I'm not following any man's voice, I am listening to the voice of my shepherd Jesus Christ and He knows all my fears, concerns, apprehensions and believe me there are many.
In a sense I feel like Abraham when God asked him to go and sacrifice his son of promise Issac. He didn't consult with man, Abraham had a three day journey to listen to the voice of "reason", to the voice of his own conscience, but He headed straight to that mountain with knife in hand and the wood on his son's back. We all know how the story ended. Abraham knew that God was the PROMISE keeper and He had promised Abraham that he would be the father of many nations, he didn't understand but he trusted the Lord knowing that according to Hebrews 11:17-19 - By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Issac, and he who had received the promise was offering up his only begotten son; it was he to whom it was said; "In Issac your descendants shall be called." He considered that God is able to raise people even from the dead, from which he also received him back as a type.
Thankfully God isn't asking us to sacrifice our children on a literal alter! He is however asking us to trust in His person, promises and power. He is asking us to sacrifice our version of "best" for His best! To die to some dreams we might have had in order to embrace the plans and purposes He has designed for these children. If my girls were younger I don't think we would even be having this discussion. He led us to home school for a season. Now it's time to move on into a new season.
While I am apprehensive about this year I am also excited at the possibilities and opportunities to "go" on a daily basis. Trusting in the Good Shepherd to guide, protect and provide them with what they need to face this world. Of course we aren't throwing them to the wolves, we will be there guiding them as well, teaching them His word, praying for them. We are still their parents and will still be overseeing their education, just in a different way.
In the shadow of the Almighty (Psalm 91)


No comments:
Post a Comment